Marianne Thieme (1972) has led the Party for the Animals (Partij voor de Dieren) since 2012, prior to which she was active in the animal rights movement.
Thieme has stated: "Politicians and corporations have always placed economic interests above moral interests. This is now hurting the entire planet."
She calls for:
- The Dutch government to stop facilitating evasion of taxes by multinationals and to publish all existing deals publicly
- Raising taxes on fossil fuels and implementing a charge per kilometre for the use of cars
- Implementing "triple bottom line" national accounts
- More sustainable production for local markets and less bulk production for export markets
- Closing down nuclear power plants
- Abolishing subsidies and tax benefits for producers and large-scale consumers of fossil energy
- Closing down zoos
- Including animal rights in the Constitution
- Putting an end to animal testing on primates and more stringent monitoring of other animal testing
- Reducing the influence of the EU
- An international court for ‘ecocide’; the murder of ecosystems should be prosecuted.